The Sherman Free Library opened on January 17, 1887. Mr. George Riley Sherman, partner in the Witherbee & Sherman Mining Company, provided $7,700 to build the library and stock it with 3,000 volumes. He stipulated that the library would be free to every person residing within the Port Henry village limits. Currently we serve the entire town of Moriah, including Port Henry.
On December 1, 1907, the library was closed in order to enlarge the building. Due to a fire on December 7, 1907, the library was badly burned and all books were damaged, with over 1,900 completely destroyed. The library re-opened on August 12, 1908.
Mr. Sherman donated $10,000 to set up an endowment to be used for maintaining the library, and an additional $10,000 was added to the endowment in 1901 from the estate of Jane H. Sherman. The library is currently supported by interest from the Sherman Trust, the Town of Moriah, and the Clinton-Essex-Franklin Library System.
Currently there are ten trustees including the Town of Moriah Supervisor.